Search This Blog

17 January 2013

Genesis 17

No matter how long you walk with God, no matter how well you think you know him, he can still surprise you.  Abram, for example, followed God for 24 years, only to have God give him a new name and tell him to cut a piece of skin off his ... area most of us wouldn't want to cut anything from.



I wonder how Abram -- now Abraham -- broached that subject with his men.  I wonder how many started looking for other work.  I wonder how the rumors sounded as they flew around Canaan.

And then God makes The Promise again, that Abraham and Sarai/Sarah will have a son in their old age.  It doesn't surprise me that they doubted and laughed.  God was saying a lot of frankly crazy things to this old couple.  Crazy, that is, for anyone but God.

If there's one thing the story of Abraham teaches me, it's that God is very good with the impossible.  If there's a second, it's that he can be trusted no matter how strange his words may sound.  And if there's a third thing the story of Abraham teaches me, it's that obedience is rewarded, sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment